Friday, March 12, 2010

The Papyrus Project and my Wild Imaginings

My mother once gave me the secret to being an artist. It was actually a poem of sorts with short, whimsical statements about how to be an artist. The one that most comes to mind reads: Have wild imaginings, transformative dreams and perfect calm.


While sitting in traffic yesterday, I began focusing my thoughts toward the one thing in life that never fails to give me pleasure, my art. Visions of paper dolls danced in my head while new ways of making dolls that would give my buyers a personal connection to my work just came one after the other. All were exciting to think about but the still small voice within whispered. "Think bigger."


Okay, how about a life sized, dimensional paper doll, I thought and I don't mean that in a celebrity-card-board-cut-out-you-see-in-the-movie-theatre kind of way either. It was perfect but the still small voice offered counsel yet again. "Yes, she whispered, "keep going." Not only will this doll be life sized but she has a story to tell.


Oooh! On that note, I could hardly contain my excitement! I had to get started right away but what do you do when you work full time? You go shopping on your lunch break of course. Bellevue Art and Frame would be my first stop. Paper is the foundation of the work and only the finest quality would do. I spared no expense in using the buyer rewards certificate I'd been carrying around for months. My first purchase would be French Aquarelle Arches paper.


I love water color paper, especially cold pressed. There is something just fresh and crisp about this textured, deckled edge paper that speaks directly to the very core of my artist being. So it begins and I've decided to take you with me on a journey of discovery to the lost temple of Papyrus where you are sure to find whimsy, intrigue, adventure and perhaps even reconnect with your inner child.



There are ways that you can participate in the project which I will present as we go along. Get ready to soar with the goddesses. Who knows, magic could strike! Be sure to check back often for updates and opportunities.

8 comments:

Sueann said...

Sounds exciting Kitty! I will check back and often. I love watercolor paper too...love the deckle edge!
Hugs
SueAnn

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Kitty,

I am lovin' paper dolls these days! I am going out today to get more paper for another book. Have a fun and exciting and creative weekend! Anita

Pom Pom said...

Hi Kitty! I can't wait to see what you are dreaming up. I love reading about your heart for art. Your paper doll doings are VERY inspirational and definitely get imaginations stirring.

Julie Ann said...

Wow- what gorgeous paper!!! I don't think I've seen anything quite like it! And your project sounds so intriguing!!!! I cannot wait to see where your imagination will take us!

Elaine A said...

Hi Kellie -

I'm with you, I love watercolor paper and Arches is the one I use also, usually 140 or 300lb. cold pressed. It depends on how what I am painting.
As usual, you have me curious about what you are up to - LOL! You had me at Papyrus, which for me conjures thoughts of ancient items, Egypt, reed pens. So eagerly waiting to see what you've got cooking in your head! LOL!

Elaine Allen

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good evening Kitty!!! Oh, thank you for your kind words. I always want to inspire and uplift; it is so important to remember that which we can't see, but is truly there! May your guardians watch over you forever! And....I am working on some paper creatures for my mini theatre. Watch for them!

Bisous, Anita

Fifi Flowers said...

THose words in the first photo are sooooo IMPORTANT!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Neat! Neat! Neat!

xo,

Sheila :-)